Thursday, November 10, 2005

Is Everybody in? The Ceremony is About to Begin.

If everyone is accounted for let's start the night with a little quiz. Who here would say that their life turned out like they thought it would. Show of hands? Not surprising. Very few people pictured their lives being the way they turned out. Now, the bigger question, even though your life isn't what you thought it would be, are you worse off for having lived it? That's what I thought. Not a lot of hands but a few. Ok, here's the biggie. Who regrets decisions that they have made? Look at all of the hands. What I'm here to tell you is, no one should have their hands raised for having regrets. If you notice, I didn't put my hand up. I'm going to let everyone in on a secret. We have all done things that are questionable, but no one should regret anything that has occurred. All of the things that we do, have done, and that have been done to us take part in sculpting us into becoming the people that we are. The trick here is to learn from it and not let it turn you bitter.

I have had a shitty year. The mother of shitty years. I am not going to go into detail of why this has been such a bad year, I told myself when I started this blog I wouldn't write about that, but trust me, it was as bad as you can picture. I am not writing this as some kind of "holier than thou" point, or worse yet, as a pity scheme, but as a method of showing you that anyone can survive, and given the right mindset, you can start to live a life where everything, for good or for bad, is about experience, knowledge and teaching yourself that the most important thing in life is living it. Life is very short, and to walk through it being angry, upset or depressed is not life. We all have to experience shitty things. It's to show us what not to do, and teach us to appreciate all of the stuff around us that we take for granted. As a race we get depressed, upset and angry, but we can't let it bury us. Shake it off and get on with living.

Over the past few months I have opened my eyes to the world around me like a newborn baby seeing the clouds for the first time. It amazes me how much I missed when I was carrying around all my bullshit like a 2000 pound stone chained to my neck. It took a very hard knock to get the stone loose, but now that it is, I see things differently.

Now that I see things for what they are, I also see things for what they aren't. That is a very hard realization for some people (myself included). We can trick ourselves into thinking things are one way when they are actually the other. That's the amazing thing about the brain. It is the most powerful thing in our body and so many people don't use it because they have it focused on the things that are responsible for making us angry, upset and depressed.

I still get depressed. I still get angry. I still get upset, but I learn and keep going. For all the bad things that happen to us, there are just as many good things, and that's what we have to hold on to. Don't concentrate on the shit. It will only bury you further. Take it for what it is, let it become part of you and move on. The pain never goes away, but you learn to use it to make you stronger.

Guess this entry wasn't as fun as the usual ones. Everyone has to have a serious moment I suppose. I think the only way to sum this one up is "Live a Life of No Regrets" and "Nipple, Apple, Crap".

1 Comments:

Blogger Alex said...

Nipple, Apple, Crap

10:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home