Tuesday, May 23, 2006

You'll Never Have Friends Like the Ones You Had When You Were Twelve.

The title of this entry is mainly written as a juxtaposition to what I actually believe. As much as I enjoy the memory of the friends I had at twelve, it cannot hold a candle compared to those you make later in your life. Once we've all had the world rammed down our throat for a decade or so, reality really begins to step in. It's hard to associate with some one who has no grasp of what life actually is. Wow, that seems a little bitter...Guess I'll switch it up a little bit.

For the first time in a long time I played the spontaneity card and decided to get out of dodge for the weekend. Me and CG went out to Montreal to annoy a different town for a while. I completely forgot how much fun it is to just get out to a different city and be stupid somewhere else. I can't honestly think of any point in the weekend away where I was bored, or not having fun (or wanting to kill the company I was traveling with, unlike so many other trips in my fairly recent past). I forgot that vacations were supposed to be fun. I always heard they were, but I never got it. Good company probably makes the biggest difference in determining if you are going to have a good vacation or not. Damnit bitterman, get back in the friggin attic.

Montreal is quite possibly one of the most fun cities in Canada, so a note to any of you readers thinking of coming over to Canada for a vacation, make sure you plan a couple of nights there. Add Vancouver, Quebec City and Toronto to the list if you have the opportunity. Do not add Kitchener to the list (my current hometown). I repeat, do not add Kitchener to the list. As far as places to live go, it's not that bad, but as a place to go have a crazy amount of fun, it just doesn't cut it, unless you really like coffee shops.

On the plus side, Montreal has some of the most decadent restaurants in the world, a huge shopping district, and more bars than you can possibly hop through in a fortnight. Make sure you plan a dinner at L'Autre Saison in the core and have the Escargot. Quite possibly the best I've ever had. On the downside, like all major cities, it is Big Bucks to stay there for an extended period of time, there are a lot of homeless people, and has some very unique smelling districts. There is also something that can fall into either category, depending on the person. Montreal has one of the biggest sex/pr0n districts in Canada. If you can't find it there, it doesn't exist. The one warning attached to this one is, even though there is a district, you will find peek shows and strip joints just about everywhere. I guess this only qualifies as a warning if you are a complete prude. I always find it to be one of the more entertaining bits about Montreal but Chacun à son goût. Then again I'm pretty much a pervert at heart so it all works out.

I suppose the whole moral of the story would be, make sure to take time out to just go and do something. Be spontaneous. Also, make sure that whoever you decide to drag along on your adventure into spontaneity is someone you can handle spending an extended amount of time with. Luckily I have some great friends who are also into just flying free and doing what they want. Life is way too short to spend it doing nothing. Get out there and see the world and experience something new.

One last thing I want to add. You can never have everything in life that you want. If you do manage to get most of what you are trying to get, hold on tight. Luckily I have almost everything I want. On my mental list there is only one more thing that I need, and when I get it, you can believe that I'm never going to be letting go...

"I am not sure anymore that life can be reduced to a class struggle, to dialectical materialism, or any set of formulas. Life is spontaneous and it is unpredictable, it is magical. I think that we have struggled so hard with the tangible that we have forgotten the intangible."
Diane Frolov and Andrew Schneider

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home