Monday, April 17, 2006

A Bit More Choke and You Would Have Started...

Without glasses I have a whole new lease on many of the hobbies I've had in the past. One of which is Billiards. I forgot how much easier is to play the game when you aren't trying to aim your shot by looking through your glasses while standing up, then trying to make the shot from memory as soon as you lean down to take it. The problem with playing Boston (and any other pool game for that matter) with glasses is you always end up looking above your glasses as soon as you are crouched down over your cue. Turns out that when you can see the pocket at the other end of the table, you can pot it more often. Who'd of thunk it. I also learned not to play pool against my father. Intentionally or not, he can hook me every time and put the cue ball exactly where I don't want it to be, which goes to prove you don't need to make a shot, just screw the next person on theirs. It turns into a war of attrition, but works, so who am I to judge. I can take some pleasure in the fact that I did win two out of three games. I don't suck as much as I thought I would after not playing for so long. Now that I've said that, I'll be sure to burn for the next ten games I play. If you see some guy in the pool hall grinning like an idiot because he can see the far end of the table, come on over an challenge me to a game. I won't give you much of a run for your money, but I'll be happy as I lose.

The other hobby of mine that is completely new again is photography. I've gotten into the habit of always carrying my camera with me in the car, and it paid off this weekend. I'd like to introduce you to my new friend. His name is Lance. I don't know why. He just seemed to like the name, well, as much as a large snapping turtle likes a human name. It decided to stop traffic on one of the back roads on the way to the Easter festivities. In my true nature, rather than try to get it off the road, or drive carefully around it, I threw my car into park and went for my camera in my back seat. Now, there is a very valid reason that these things are called snapping turtles. Take a look at the beak on that thing. Doesn't it look happy.

To put it in scale, the shell on this one was probably up around 24 to 28 inches or so. Not the biggest I've seen, but not too small either.

If you know a photographer, you will be aware of the certain mannerism I'm about to describe. When the perfect shot comes up, a photographer will stop whatever they are doing in order to get the shot. This can mean dropping the phone they are conversing on, stopping whatever they are doing and frantically searching for the right lens, or forgetting that the thing they are running in to take the picture of has the same physiology and mentality as a dinosaur. To add insult to injury, it has sharp claws and a big friggin beak that can take a couple of fingers off in one clean snap. It's also in a perpetual bad mood. And off I go, out of my perfectly safe car to chase this thing down doing my best Steve Irwin impersonation. Admittedly, a turtle can't move all that fast, but when you have a couple of pounds of camera around your neck and the target is boogieing away, everything is moving fast. I managed to get in front of the thing with one of my big zoom lenses and tried to block it from getting away into the swamp behind me. This is another one of those things that photographers do. Don't worry about any danger that you may put yourself in, as long as you can prolong time to get a couple of extra shots. The good thing was, I managed to get a bunch of shots off and I still have my camera and all my fingers, so it was all worth it. Lance wandered off to the swamp only slightly more pissed off than normal, and I got a bunch of shit to put on my Blog. Yay for me.

I hate it when people don't do research before writing things. Laziness is the bane of rational thought. Bitterman hasn't made an appearance in a while, so I figure I'd let him out of the attic for a couple of sentences.

"I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters."
Solomon Short

1 Comments:

Blogger Alex said...

CRIKEY - THAT'S A BIG CROC!!!!!! LET'S PUT A BABY IN FRONT OF IT!!!!!

8:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home