Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Nutbuckets, Snow, Christmas Trees, and a Bunch of Other $hit.

Bah Humbug. Good got that out of the way. As you can probably tell, this may be a little more bitter of an entry than normal. I'm trying to not let bitter man take over. Tis the season. Anyhow, a strange thing happened a work today. I got a request for what to write about from one of my co-workers. He mentioned that he was reading my Blog and couldn't believe that I hadn't written about the NutBuckets. I'll write about that in a little bit, but first it caused an interesting reaction in me. Firstly, I've known for a while that my Blog is starting to pick up a small audience, but hearing it so directly was very cool. Ego stroking is always appreciated. Secondly, it was a small bit of pride. I've always written. It's something that has always come very naturally to me, and to actually have an audience that enjoys reading my bullshit means that it wasn't all in my head...Thank you guys and gals...Now maybe the voices will go away before I turn into some Hunter S. Thompson-esque guy living in a cabin, talking to myself, and collecting guns. All good, all good, all you guys shut up in there, I don't need you anymore, I have a real audience...

This is for you Newtieman,

The NutBucket. Oh Lovely Nutbucket, how we love you, let me count the ways. I normally don't write about my job that much (fixing networks/computers is only exciting to other people who fix networks/computers) but I will be giving somewhat of a shout out to my job. My job is cool. For the most part I enjoy my job. The people I work with are awesome, but every year for the past four years running, we get the same Christmas gift (I will not call it a bonus). We get a Nutbucket. It's a selection of nuts, nuts and more nuts. Chip nuts, peanuts, chocolate clusters with nuts, peanut brittle, etc, etc, etc, all wrapped up in some sort of a bucket. It doesn't sound that bad, until you get them four years in a row. Thank you for your XX years of service and hard work, Here's a bucket of nuts. The question that has been posed a couple of times is, what if you are allergic to nuts? I know, pretty far fetched. Nut allergies? They don't exist in real life, do they? Wow, sarcasm is tough in a blog. So we all get our nutbucket last night. They hand them out at night so they don't have to see the look on all of our faces, but we happened to be there fixing something late. So, one of the bean counters round the corner with a couple of nutbuckets for me and my co-worker, and you'd swear that the bean counter had just walked down the wrong alley in New York with a couple of guys with mohawks and 45's lying in wait. First the look of shock, then the nervous laugh, then a couple of nutbuckets are dropped on our desks with a bean counter running away. I didn't know if I was going to laugh, or just start pissing and moaning. The laughing eventually won. I'd like to say I expected something else, but I didn't, so now I'm burning my dinner, writing an entry, and eating chipnuts. Yum.

I have never been a big fan of Xmas. As far back as I can remember I've never enjoyed it a whole lot. Before any armchair quarterbacking happens, as a kid my parents were awesome about Xmas, but I just never got it. There are a couple of reasons that I believe made me feel that way. One, the birthday. I was born on Xmas Day. Now, not a big deal. As a kid it was not a good time. Shit. It's hard enough to remember birthdays without the MF'er of holidays thrown on top. Merry Christmas all, shit it's your birthday, here's a mars bar I picked up in the gas station on the way. Sheeeit. Like I said, it's not a big deal now as I am at the age where all that birthdays mean is you get to have a couple of drinks after dinner (and get laid if you are with someone. Damnit. Sigh.). The thing that bugs me about Christmas now is the expectation of gifts. I have always been the kind of guy who will just give people presents when I feel like it. I enjoy the reaction that I get from people when I give somebody something when they are not expecting it. I do not like being expected to give gifts just because it is either a) expected of me due to mass marketing, or b) I have to give a gift to someone because a nice guy who eventually got nailed to a tree was born. If said nice guy existed, do you thing we should be materialistic on the day of his birth? Thank you DNA for the obvious homage. In a nutshell, if it's expected, how can it mean anything? Any gift you give should come from a genuine want to give a gift, not because the cyclopean idiot box told you too.

Which leads me to another thing that has been pissing me off for a while. Almost entirely, but not completely, unrelated. When I started this Blog I thought I could get away with asking questions anonymously and people would answer them, but instead I'm going to ask a question that has been bugging me for years. I really want an answer to this one, if there is one. Guys, you cannot answer this one, but you can ask your significant other for their input. The question is, "When is a nice guy too nice?" Arrrggh. That didn't come out right. Shit. Words in head don't match the words on paper. The thing that brings this up is self-reflection. As a younger man I was a shit disturber...Long haired, pissed off at the world, musician, into just about everything, and this lead to a certain amount of action, but not anything meaningful. At some point I changed my outlook and became the nice guy. I liked that person a lot more, and eventually got married for a while, but now that I'm playing the game again (damnit damnit damnit), the nice guy thing is different. It seems that there is a point where nice guy makes a great friend, but not anything else significant (except to people who are already hooked up. Want to talk about an oxymoron, there you go...The only interest comes from attached women, and being a nice guy, you don't act on it...how confusing is that?). Anyhow, any ideas here people? Maybe it's just one of those things that just aren't answerable. I suppose there is an answer somewhere in the mess, but I'll be damned if I can find it. Maybe I'm just looking too deep into the well of life. Or maybe I'm just full of shit and I've asked a rhetorical question. As much as I like being told that I'm a super nice guy, and how awesome I am, ego alone can't take care of everything. Damnit. Enough. Wankel Rotary Engine.

In closing, Xmas bad, Nutbuckets bad, birthdays bad. Xbox360 Good. Guitars good. Beer Good. Too Much Beer Bad, very bad.

Merry Farking Xmas.

4 Comments:

Blogger Alex said...

Ok - this has been discussed now. Here's my input - there is that cliche about girls wanting guys who are bad for them, which is semi true. There is nothing black and white in life - it's also gray. We all want someone who is a little bit bad and a little bit good. A little bit country and a little bit rock and roll. Maybe 75% rock and roll, 20% country, and 5% hits of the 80's. Who doesn't love the 80's?

9:29 PM  
Blogger Alex said...

Just thought of something else - a wise Jedi once said.... "There is no try, only do"

9:47 PM  
Blogger Reverend Moloquin said...

Your Jedi Mind tricks don't work on Me.

1:17 AM  
Blogger Alex said...

Yes, yes they do.

5:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home