Monday, February 06, 2006

Cacapoopoopeepeeshire, and Other Tales of Horror.

Here comes another one of those pointless (or higher on the pointless scale than usual) entries, simply because I feel like writing, and not because I have any particular point to make. These ones are necessary occasionally, and I needed something to do while I'm waiting for my laundry to finish up. Procrastination bit me in the ass again.

Rome has a great entry about selfishness tonight, and it's definitely worth checking out. I also learned not to invite him out for Italian food, so it's a win-win.

In a recent conversation I was told that my Blog may contain a few too many vulgarities. I'm very open to critiquing so it didn't offend me in the slightest, but it sparked an interesting follow-up conversation. We started talking about how some people are offended by profanity and other's aren't. I am not offended by any words or phrases whatsoever, mostly because I use a lot of them on a daily basis. Ask anyone who works in the same office as me and they'll back me up. I actually see a lot of humor in it. Call me immature, I don't care. Better than being (yuck) mature. Anyways, I started wondering about why vulgar language does bother people. I think the most obvious finger pointing here would be towards religion. There is no question that many religious people don't curse, but I've met many who can curse a blue streak. The methodology behind this one is, it's only cursing if you believe it is a curse. It's that whole guilt idea. I think the salient point of the religion argument is "taking the lords name in vain" designates a profanity. That's makes a lot of my favorite words on the good list. I've always been in the camp of, with so many languages in the world, how can one word be deemed foul when other's aren't? I think a big part of it is due to environment and surroundings. If I was living in Singapore, I don't think that Belgian swear words would be considered nasty, mostly because no one would understand Flemish there, but I think the point is made, albeit abstractly. Vulgar words and phrases can only be judged by individuals and not by society as a whole. This is almost turning into a censorship rant, so I'd better stop now while I still can. Fanny Bandit.

I think I have finally recovered from the Friday night drink fest. My shoes have not, but I have, and I guess that's the important thing. After yesterday's feeling of "Thickness", it's strange how my sense of humor seems to be in a heightened state. Movies, TV, etc., are funny as hell today. I think it was because I was in a state of emotional deprivation for most of the day yesterday. The strange bout of depression I was in last night has disappeared and I'm back to my usual state of wackiness. Not always a good thing, but I'll take it over the alternative.

"I Never" is a great game to play if you are hanging around with open minded people. "I Never" is a horrible game to play if you significant other has a low self-esteem...or so I've heard, and how long exactly does it take for your virginity to grow back? I don't remember them covering this one in Grade Eight health class.

There was a point in there somewhere, but it's been lost in the eddies of time. Tonights entry was brought to you by the country Belgium and the letter "N". All images were picked more or less at random.

"It is one of the superstitions of the human mind to have imagined that virginity could be a virtue."
Voltaire

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home