Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Procrastination is the Fruit of Creativity.

Normally I don't geek out two entries in a row, but I can't help myself today. My little entertainment center project came to a head yesterday and now I can say I am officially done with it. Don't misunderstand, I can still think of about twenty things to do, but I have hit the "I'm done with this shit" stage. The latest machine I added to the mix was way too much of a pain in the ass. I like the outcome, but I'm going be breathing the smell of melted acrylic and paint/steel dust for a long time. I figured, "If I'm going to be putting all this work into it, I might as well make it sexy as well". Out came the dremel and the drills and ten other power tools that I probably wouldn't have needed but I like to look at them. I can pretend that they were worth the money I spent on them for a one time use. It's a throwback to when I used to have time to be artistic I suppose. In true bachelor fashion, I set everything up in the middle of the basement (finished of course) and without the thought of even a towel for a drop cloth and the grinding began. Paint and steel flying everywhere. I must have looked like some mad welder on crank. There I am, sitting cross legged on my basement carpet, still dressed in the happy office attire (because, why would I change clothes?), face and hands covered in black paint dust, and then I wonder if this is such a good idea. I had reached the point of no return though. There was already a huge black spot on the carpet form the paint dust, so since it's already dirty, it can't get dirtier right. We all know the answer to that one. To shorten this up so I don't end up writing a novel, I now have "PimpRig II" in my entertainment center. I also have a large black spot on my carpet downstairs...and a shirt I can never wear to the office again...and a hole in my lung from inhaling steel bits...and last, but by no means least, a huge mess to clean up before poker tomorrow night. It was all worth it though. Amazing how quickly I reverted to being a nineteen year old male again.

Due to the afore mentioned scenario I am dragging my ass something fierce today. It one of those wonderful feelings of, there is stuff I need to be doing, but I just don't have the energy, or the wherewithal to undertake them today. Since I have been an insomniac for many, many years I don't really get tired, but my brain does like to take vacations without me. That would be the perfect conclusion for the day. My brain is sitting on a dock in Wilmington having a beer enjoying the sights, but my body is back here running in the big hamster wheel. It would be much more fun if it was a big hamster ball. Imagine if you will, everyone in your workplace in giant hamster balls trying to get their work done. Chairs would be outlawed. Everything would be wireless. The IT guys could cover the entire distance of the building in 4 seconds flat, and still not spill there coffee. Hopes and Dreams, hopes and dreams.

And I haven't even been drinking yet.

"Work is the curse of the drinking classes."
Oscar Wilde

2 Comments:

Blogger Alex said...

If there were big hampster wheels, we could hook generators up to them - that way when there's another major blackout, we can still have enough power to keep the BES up and running. Wait....no BES - no email. We could still play that brick breaking game. Ohhh. Tough call, tough call.

10:21 PM  
Blogger Reverend Moloquin said...

Brick Breaking Game? It's all about Dope wars...Dope wars without any email interuptions. Mmmmmmm.

10:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home