Friday, December 30, 2005

Stupid Like a Fox, We're Just Hired Geeks

Here is another one of those silly entries where I'm going to go on about how my life can be used as an example for everyone else’s. Don't worry. It's not going to come out preachy or anything, just more observational shit in retrospect about what I've done, and what you can either learn from, or avoid entirely. When it comes to some of the shit that I have experienced, avoidance is sometimes the better policy. All goes back to learning from other people’s mistakes. Sometimes we have to make our own in order to mature and grow (yeah right...Mature...Hrmpphh), and other times it's just better to stop and listen for a couple of minutes to make sure you aren't going to fall over the cliff as you are running blindly forward. I think since another year is almost over, it is causing a retrospective kind of entry, that and the fact I'm going to the shindig of the year tonight and may have to spend the next week making apologies. All for the betterment of mankind I say.

I have come up with the two paths to the start of relationships (this does not include the meaningless one night/weekend flings). Over the course of the odd thirty years (call it 15 or so of relationship time), I can follow every relationship I've ever had to one of two start points. The first is meeting someone and instant sparks fly. I'm talking about a forest fire of biblical proportions originating somewhere below the equator. If you haven't ever experienced this kind of thing, make sure you do before you die. It's like a ride on a roller coaster...Unbelievably fun while it lasts, and here's the rub, the ride doesn't usually last that long. The pitfall in this one is getting too attached to someone in one of these relationships. Don't misunderstand, I have known couples that have stayed together with a fiery start like this, but usually the fire burns out fast. The candle that burns brightest also burns quickest. It is a blast while you are there, but coming down is a bitch.

The other side of the coin is the very slow, calm and steady start. These ones are where you spend time becoming close friends with the person before any kind of romantic contact whatsoever. These are the ones that usually last and mean the most in the long run. I'd say that in my life I've had at least two, maybe three of these kinds of relationships. For the two that I am sure of, I knew the one for just under a year, and the other for over two years. The third was just around the four to six month mark or so. All of these were just as intense as the first kind, but it was more of a smoldering heat that took time to turn into a fire, which can be very rewarding. I've always found that these are the ones that last a very long time and create the most emotional attachment. I've always leaned towards this kind of relationship. There is a time and a place for quick and dirty relationships, but I think this is what most people are looking for. Besides, there is nothing worse than ending up in a relationship with someone where you have either nothing in common, or you genuinely dislike them. It has been known to happen.

>>>>>>>
One thing I should mention. In the second kind of situation for a relationship startup, when the spark does fly, it can be completely unexpected. It can be with someone who you never even really thought of being in a relationshippy kind of place with. It's a strange thing. From something as simple as a conversation, or an innocent touch the spark can jump, and let me tell you, it's like a lightning bolt to the groin. It will knock you on your a$$. I've experienced this twice, and it's quite the experience. Anyhow, back to our regularly scheduled program.
>>>>>>>

Ok. Enough of the serious stuff. Tonight is the official New Years Eve Eve party. It's going to be a fall over, get stupid, no walking, no talking, just mumbling in the kitchen kind of party. I've already decided that this is going to be my New Years Eve for 2005. I imagine I will be sitting at home tomorrow nursing my ever growing headache and trying to hold down toast. I have to drink something at midnight though. Told someone I would have a drink for them, and I can't back out of it. Jefe and I have already decided that this going to be a very harsh night of drinking...One of those "I remember getting there, but everything kind of got muddy after that". We'll see what adventures we have in store. I'm going to bring out the camera just so I don't have the black holes that plagued me after the Xmas party. I can live without experiencing that again.

Before I sign off for the day, Thx to LJ for hosting the NYEE. A good time will be had by all. Now I'm off to smoke a Monte Cristo #4 and have a big plate of pasta in preparation for tonight. Adieu.

2 Comments:

Blogger Alex said...

It wasn't my party - it was LJs.

4:01 PM  
Blogger Reverend Moloquin said...

Oops...Corrected.

6:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home