Sunday, February 19, 2006

Poppa's Got a Brand New Bag

It has always been said that by making a list of what you want to do or accomplish will help you aspire to do whatever is on the list. I've always had a partial list in my head of thing that I'll do before I die (note, I said things I'll do, not things I want to do. That's a fairly important bit). I figure it's about time to actually write it down. I've always acted on impulse so I've been lucky to accomplish many things thus far, but most of the stuff I'm going to note now are things I haven't had the opportunity/means to do or things I've been saving for the right place and time. This list is pretty amorphous and things will be added or adapted as time goes on. The cool thing is, as time goes on, and new ideas are discovered, I can add them as I see fit. The one thing I should jot down is this isn't some crazy form of death wish, or some screwed up idea of when I'm done I can die happy. There are so many things in the world that I haven't even discovered yet that I will want to do and will add to the list. Everything we do should improve and embellish our life in some way, even if only for a few moments. As the saying goes, nothing gold can stay.

I've always wanted to build my own house on a few acres of land, and not as in hire a bunch of people to build what I think I want. I'm talking about planning it out, drawing up the prints, and building it with my own two hands. There are a few things that I will be bringing people in to do, but for the most part it will be all my baby. This way, I'll be sure that I get exactly what I want, and I'll have the satisfaction of building it myself. Strangely enough, I will probably be attacking this one sooner than later.

I've had an addiction to speed for many years now. The measurement, not the drug, and I've finally decided how to calm this one down. I'm going to enter the Gumball 3000 once I have enough money that I can fritter away $80000 on a 5 day adventure without worrying about it. This could take me a few years yet.

A fairly new one to this list is to climb Mount Fuji. Not for any particular religious or meaningful purpose, but just to say that I've done it. Besides, I think it would be a great place to get some shots with the camera, if I even have the energy to lift a camera at that point. Maybe I should get myself into shape before I attempt this one.

I've had the opportunity many times to go bungee jumping and I've always turned it down. It's been a battle a few times, but I've always walked away. Not for any noble reason like someone important talking me out of it, or worried about dying, but because there is only one place to do this one. It has to be done in Australia, off a bridge, and into the water. Got to do this one where it was invented. The only way to fly.

Backpacking it through Europe is one of those things that college students do. If I would have went to college for more than just a few months, I probably would have done it then, but circumstances just weren't right at the time. I want to take three months, trek across Europe on a mountain bike, and see all the sights. I recently went to see Hostel with CG, and I still want to do it, but I may stay out of strange places to sleep in southern Europe.

The last big thing on the list is to go to Tibet and spend some time in a monastery with the monks. Their method of life has always amazed and entranced me, more so when I learned of the Tibetan sky burial. When I decided that this was going to be the way I was going to go, I figured I'd better learn and appreciate the lifestyle before it was too late. It would be pretty hypocritical of me not to experience all of the history behind it before signing off.

There are many other little things that I will do as well, but are hardly worth mentioning. Not to say that the little things aren't as important, in some cases they may be more, but they aren't the monumental things like the ones that I mentioned above, and they simply aren't that exciting to write about.

Shit. I'm sitting here at twenty to seven in the morning, writing an entry in the blog, listening to some stupid infomercial in the background. Time to go to bed. Here's a good silly quote with some thinking involved to close out with. G'night all...

"Irrigation of the land with seawater desalinated by fusion power is ancient. It's called 'rain'."
Michael McClary

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home