Monday, June 26, 2006

The Things You Own End Up Owning You.

I am Jack's utter lack of inspiration.

With the re-adjustment to singledom now in full swing I find myself at odds with balancing my social life and personal life. I suppose that's expected. After being with someone everyday for the better part of a decade it can be difficult to discover what to do with yourself in all the extra hours. That's not saying that I get bored or anything (trust me, I have enough hobbies for three people combined), just the re-adjustment to being by yourself is a really strange learning curve. My natural reaction is to be out all the time, even though I know it's counter productive to relaxation and such, but it's all about the experience I suppose. Now to the meat of this entry, which is almost, but not entirely, completely unrelated.

I was reading a very interesting article last week about feral children. Most of the time the stories were actually quite depressing, but I noticed a correlation between many of the events. In most cases the children, when introduced back into society, or just introduced normal human interaction again, had no desire to procreate or have any sex drive what so ever. One aspect of this I suppose could be because of the lack of human interaction, but I've always thought that sex drive would be instinctual rather than desired. I'm positive that desire is a part of it, but seeing that everything has to procreate to continue their species, I've always thought that an instinctual drive would take over at some point. Now, the interesting bit here would be if the desire for sex is not instinctual, can you deny the natural desires of your programming?

Part of me says why deny your natural desire, but the mad scientist part of me would like to see this experiment in action. Hmmm, now I just need a small child, a cell, and 18 years or so to kill.

No, I'm not accepting contributions.

After the past week, which was unbelievably shitty I might add, I was going to write this entry about the untimely death of my brand new surround sound receiver, and accept contributions towards getting the reverend a new one, but thought better of it. The epiphany which caused me to rethink this came over me a couple of nights ago. I was sitting at home watching TV with my antique, non-surround system hooked up, when I took a close look at everything in my living room. Not to sound like I'm bragging, but I have lots of nifty toys in my living room. Being a tech geek I have a lot of the newest and grooviest of the electronics, and that's when I realized I didn't need a new one. The old one seems to work for the time being, so why go out and buy a new one. This is basically where the title for this entry came from. After the new system blew up I went out driving to look for a new one, even though I don't really have the money for one right now, but I thought that I needed one. I ended up wasting about two and a half hours looking for one, which wasn't to be found anyways. That's when the title of this blog popped in my mind (no, it's not my quote, just a little bit of handy plagiarism). If I ended up driving around for two and a half hours, without even having the money to buy a new one, or truly needing another one, who really had the upper hand, me or the companies feeding me the lines about having the newest, bestest and shiniest stuff.

You really have to question our drive for anything we do or possess. There is a point where we have to step back and not accept the programming that we have been fed since the time we can comprehend language. You have to admit, they start really on us really young and don't let up until we either die, or make the conscious effort to reject their marketing efforts. Do we really need all the crap we have, or have the desires we do because we truly want them or because something is whispering into our ears? I'm not saying that we should give up everything we own, don wool robes and go eat grass on the top of a mountain, but maybe we can all trim some of that extra shit out of our life and explore living a little bit.

Well, I was jumping all over the place tonight. Sorry for the schizophrenic entry. I'll lay off the crack next time.

"Its not until you lose everything that you are free to do anything."
Tyler Durden

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home